Doug is proud to have started his legal career as a Navy Judge Advocate. The discipline and work ethic instilled in him during his time in the Navy continues to serve him well in private practice. Following his time in the Navy, Doug spent more than three years working at the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office in the areas of insurance and condemnation. Following his government service, Doug joined North Carolina’s largest law firm and focused his practice on insurance litigation, shareholder disputes, business contract disputes and complex tort cases.
Insurance: In the area of insurance, Doug routinely handles claims of bad faith, unfair and deceptive trade practices, breach of contract, and a variety of matters concerning insurance coverage. Representative clients include Hartford Insurance, Mass Mutual, Mutual of Omaha, and Selective Insurance.
Shareholder Disputes: Doug routinely provides advice to minority shareholders of closely held corporations. In this area, he has litigated claims of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of corporate opportunities, conversion, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Business Contracts: Doug has experience litigating a variety of business contract disputes, including agent agreements, franchise agreements, real-estate transactions, rental agreements, management contracts, licensing agreements, and the enforcement of large collection matters.
Employment: In the area of employment litigation, Doug has broad experience in dealing with termination of employment agreements, claims involving non-competition clauses, and disputes involving deferred compensation agreements.
Personal Injury: Doug has tried a number of complex tort cases involving serious injury and wrongful death on both sides of the docket. In one two-month period, he spent seven weeks in trial handling the defense of a multi-million dollar tort claim asserted against FedEx Ground (defense verdict) as well as representing a quadriplegic plaintiff in a product liability case (confidential settlement after the case was submitted to the jury).
Doug is blessed to have the love and support of his beautiful wife Denise, and is the proud father of three boys (Will, Brendan and Grayson). Outside of work, Doug focuses his attention on his Christian faith and his family. Doug is a youth hockey coach for his boys, is an active member of a weekly men’s bible study, and is taking correspondence courses in biblical studies.
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice PLLC, 2001-2008
- Partner in the Business Litigation Group in Raleigh
North Carolina Attorney General’s Office, 1998-2001
- Assistant Attorney General in the Insurance Section
- Assistant Attorney General in the Transportation Section (Condemnation)
Assistant District Attorney, Orange County, 1997-1998
- Felony prosecutor handling sexual assault, child abuse and domestic violence cases
Judge Advocate General’s Corps, United States Navy, 1991-1997
- Defense Counsel, Naval Legal Service Office, Jacksonville, FL
- Senior Trial Counsel (Prosecutor), Naval Legal Service Office, Jacksonville, FL
- Staff Judge Advocate, Naval Station, Guam
- Senior Defense Counsel, Naval Legal Service Office, Washington, D.C.
- Midshipmen Legal Counsel, U.S. Naval Academy
United States Navy Reserve, 1998-2012, Retired
- Civil Litigation (Code 14) Division, U. S. Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps
- Naval Legal Service Office, Norfolk, VA
- Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Center, Raleigh, NC
B.G.S., 1988 , University of Michigan
J.D., 1991, Wake Forest University School of Law